Monday, January 11, 2010

P.B.R. Contest

Shortly before Christmas, when Martyn's parents were visiting, we all went to an Irish Pub in Decatur. Lying on the bar we found fliers for a Pabst Blue Ribbon art contest. The prizes were not so bad, and I had already planned to make a PBR fairy at some point since PBR is the most hipster of beers. Last year I designed a Paul Banks of Interpol fairy as a possible birthday present for Paige. Even though she decided to go with the Stella fairy I drew instead, I still really liked the look of the Paul Banks fairy and figured I should use him for something eventually. Paul Banks and what I had in my head as the PBR fairy turned out to be pretty much one and the same, so I modified his design a little and used it for the contest. Here is the original sketch:



I probably should have taken some in progress pics of me making this sculpture like I usually do, but I had a very limited amount of time to make him after the holiday chaos was over. I made him from start to completion in about five to six days while working full time for most of those days so he was kind of a rush job. Luckily I didn't have to sacrifice the quality though, because I think he looks totally kick ass. I wanted to take the final photos where I though his natural environment might be--inside the Graveyard Tavern in East Atlanta, on the bar. Last night Martyn and I took these:























No comments:

Post a Comment