Friday, April 10, 2009

Pinky Dandy In A Swimsuit

Last night after Paige and I went to Blick for some art supplies and had dinner at Yama Sushi, I painted a scenic watercolor of the beach, scanned it into my computer, and messed around with it a bit. I am fiddling with a new style that combines my digitally colored characters with my more serious watercolor paintings that everyone loves so much. When I used to be in Maher Yacoub's class all he ever did was make me paint watercolor landscapes so that he could steal them after I had thrown them out. This isn't even the first time this has happened, I also had a teacher in middle school that wanted one of my watercolors out of the trash. I always thought they were alright, but honestly what was I going to do with a million paintings of trees. Maher usually would ask if he could keep my stuff, but not always. A few of my drawings mysteriously went missing a while back and Maher claimed that he never saw them or that he didn't know what I was talking about. Whatever, he can keep them for being such a cool guy.

Anyway, I don't know what's so great about my watercolors but they are fun to do and probably the easiest way to for me to paint backgrounds. They are also great for getting realistic colors in landscapes. The only issue I have with watercolors is that they are often a bit too somber for my characters. Most of my characters are solid, vivid colors, and lot of them have bright pink or magenta somewhere on their person. I guess that's just me wanting to interject my favorite color over everything. When you try to get a good pink with watercolor it never really works; it's always too red or too peach. When it comes to PINKY Dandy there is no excuse for this. So lately I have just been saying "fuck it" and coloring my characters digitally. Something about the slickness of digital combined with the sporadic-ness of watercolor fascinates me. I don't know if it looks "good," but it does definitely look interesting. Sort of like a reference to cell shading in animation, where the characters were really solid and the backgrounds were these wispy works of art. This is my first attempt at whatever this is:


A little weird looking, but I think I like it. I'm not sure. If I decide that I don't like it later on, I have a plan B: Dr. PH Martin's concentrated watercolor dyes. They are way brighter than normal watercolors because they've got a hellofalot more pigment. I picked up a bright pink yesterday in case I decide to do the rest of the Pinky Facebook photos completely traditionally. Then I will lament about having to ink everything. Pinky, along with all of my other characters, looks better as a sketch than inked. I think my pencil drawings have awesome line weight and a sporadic quality that I would hate to lose to the carefulness of an ink-over. And they would also not have that nifty super-opaque coloring that they do digitally. Damnit, I am thinking about this far too much. So look at Pinky in a swimsuit instead. Isn't he a dreamboat?

Paige and I are taking pictures of Doll tomorrow if all goes to plan. In the meantime here is Marc Bolan's handwriting.


Someone posted a bunch of crap he wrote on Facebook. I love how he spells 'magick'. The lettering reminds me of Norse runes. Sometimes his writing was more loopy than pointy, especially when he was writing about how drunk and/or hungover he was in his old diary from when he was Mark Feld and/or Toby Tyler. He often spells things phonetically or incorrectly to the point where you are not sure what is an accident and what is purposeful. Also I love how he dots his i's with circles. I do that too, and I get a lot of crap for it. My writing is really curvy, but I write really similarly to this way when writing in dramatic all caps; jagged lightning bolt 'S's and everything. Marc and I also both use parenthesis all over the place and would put explosion lines around otomatopias of loud sounds written in all caps in our old diaries, comic book style. Most of Marc's sentences have nothing to do with grammar at all and read more like song lyrics than anything. I could relate to his stuff so much that I translated some of it to the girl that posted it, who had no idea what it said. I just have such a weird connection to Marc, and I probably will never understand why.

Here in this story from his childhood Marc says he's a fairy. In a supernatural being way; not a homosexual way. Doesn't that explain so much? He was a changeling and I knew it all along.




No comments:

Post a Comment